Regional School of Radiation Emergency Management
August 9 - August 27
The school will be held from 09 to 27 August 2021* in St. Petersburg, Russia.
The purpose of the event is to support participants in the development and management of sustainable emergency preparedness and response (EPR) programmes, based on the IAEA safety standards, technical guidelines, EPR tools and training materials.
The school has a modular structure based on the IAEA Safety Standards Series. The content will be delivered through modules on various theoretical and practical subjects, presenting specific aspects that are best considered separately. This structure makes it possible to highlight some significant elements of an EPR programme through lectures, drills, exercises and visit to different facilities.
Some of the topics considered in the training are:
- The emergency management system;
- roles and responsibilities in emergency preparedness and response;
- hazard assessment;
- protection strategy for a nuclear or radiological emergency;
- identifying and notifying a nuclear or radiological emergency and activating an emergency response;
- taking mitigatory actions;
- taking urgent protective actions and other response actions; providing instructions, warnings and relevant information to the public for emergency preparedness and response;
- protecting emergency workers and helpers in an emergency;
- managing the medical response in a nuclear or radiological emergency;
- communicating with the public throughout a nuclear or radiological emergency;
- taking early protective actions and other response actions;
- managing radioactive waste in a nuclear or radiological emergency;
- mitigating non-radiological consequences of a nuclear or radiological emergency and of an emergency response;
- requesting, providing and receiving international assistance for emergency preparedness and response;
- terminating a nuclear or radiological emergency;
- analysing the nuclear or radiological emergency and the emergency response among other topics.
The School’s working language is English.
Participation and Registration
Applications will be accepted through the official IAEA channels. All applicants wishing to participate in the school have to be nominated by a National Liaison Officer of an IAEA Member State.
Dates: 09-27 August 2021*
Duration: 108 academic hours
Venue: Rosatom Technical Academy, St. Petersburg, Russia
School coordinators (responsible for substantive matters):
Ms Alesia IUNIKOVA, Head of the International Training Center for Nuclear Infrastructure, Rosatom Tech, AVIunikova@rosatomtech.ru
School coordinators (responsible for administrative matters):
Ms Anastasiia ANDRYUSHINA, Training Specialist, Rosatom Tech, APAndryushina@rosatomtech.ru
* dates may change due to the pandemic situation