Training course “NPPs with SMR: Main Aspects and Life-cycle
October 11 - October 22
- Rosatom Technical Academy (Rosatom Tech)
- Nizhny Novgorod State Technical University named after R.E. Alekseev (NNSTU)
The course is aimed at faculty members and university management involved in the initiation or development of nuclear curricula in universities of countries embarking on nuclear power programmes, in particular, seeking to develop nuclear power with SMR.
Small and medium-sized or modular reactors are an option to fulfill the need for flexible power generation for a wider range of users and applications with a low carbon footprint. The technology offers solutions for remote regions with less-developed infrastructures and the possibility for synergetic hybrid energy systems that combine nuclear and alternate energy sources, including renewables. The recent thrust in the development of SMR technology globally, and the achievements of the Russian industry – where the first-of-a-kind floating nuclear power plant (FNPP) “Akademic Lomonosov” (with KLT-40S reactors) has been fully commissioned in Pevek, Chukotka region on May 22nd – have risen an international discussion on the perspective of the introduction of NPPs with SMR into the national energy mix.
The course is organized in cooperation with Nizhny Novgorod State Technical University named after R.E. Alekseev (NNSTU). NNSTU is one of the top Russian technical universities that was established by the industry and has strong bonds with ROSATOM enterprises, in particular with the designer of KLT-40S (reactor at the Floating NPP) and RITM-200 (icebreakers’ nuclear propulsions) – JSC «Afrikantov OKBM».
The course will cover a broad spectrum of topics related to NPPs with SMR: starting from advanced designs (focusing on RITM-200 and KLT-40S), SMR application, localization, to PSA and physical protection. A special module will be devoted to the development of educational programmes on SMR technology.
The practical part of the course is held using NNSTU’s unique experimental facilities:
- Fundamental laboratory «Reactor hydrodynamics» of JSC «Afrikantov OKBM». The main research activities are focused on the optimization of the design of advanced fuel assemblies of nuclear reactors and increase their unit capacity.
- Experimental complex for the study of mixing of non-isothermal flows for verification of CFD-codes with a capacity of 1.5 megawatts.
- Research laboratory «Technology and thermophysics of liquid metal coolants» for research of heat-exchange in heavy liquid metal coolants (HLMC) and specific emergency situations in circuits with HMLC.
- Nuclear plants with advanced SMR;
- Design and technological solutions for SMR. RITM-200 and KLT-40S reactor designs;
- Development prospects and application of NPPs with SMR;
- SMR for prospective nuclear floating thermal power plants and vessels;
- Floating power units: status and options for future projects. Marine atomic water desalination complexes using energy modules with SMR;
- Structural elements of reactors and basic equipment of NPPs with SMR;
- Probabilistic safety analysis for nuclear power plants with RITM-200 and KLT-40S reactor;
- Risks of nuclear power projects: approaches to classification and management. Issues of civil liability for nuclear damage during the construction and operation of SMR. Provision of physical protection for transportable NPPs with SMR;
- Basic principles of nuclear power plant management;
- Development of educational programmes on SMR technology.
The Course’s working language is English.
The tuition fee is covered by Rosatom Tech. Additionally, ROSATOM offers a limited number of travel grants for participants. The grant consists of an economy-class flight ticket to the course venue and back and a hotel (bed + breakfast) for the duration of the course. The grants are awarded on a competitive basis.
Participant coordinator Ms. Natalia MATAEVA NIMataeva@rosatomtech.ru
Dates: 11 to 22 October 2021*
Duration: 72 academic hours
Venue: NNSTU, Minin St., 24, Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
- Rosatom Tech – Mr. Ilia FILIPEV, ISFilipyev@rosatomtech.ru
- NNSTU – Dr. Sergey BORODIN, email@example.com
* course dates may change due to the pandemic situation