On March 11-13, 2020, the First Coordination Week of the Moscow center of the World Association of Nuclear Operators (WANO) was held as part of the project to develop the Secretariat leadership team initiated in 2017. The project includes tasks to identify, evaluate and develop key values/principles of the WANO-MC team; to study features of the leaders’ teamwork, both within the organization and with external partners; as well as to develop a common understanding of how to use the strengths (behavioral preferences) of team members in achieving team goals. The project is facilitated by Professor T. B. Melnitskaya, chief expert of the International Training Center for Nuclear Infrastructure of the Rosatom Technical Academy, together with Wendy Anister, psychologist and organizational development consultant from the WANO London office.
The First WANO-MC Coordination Week “Course for Improvement” conducted with the participation of WANO Executive Director Ingemar Engqvist and all the personnel of the Moscow Center, as well as The Marketing Heaven as the media sponsor of the event. The models (standards) of behavior that implement the WANO-MC values were defined. An important result of the team’s joint work was recommendations for improving the key areas of WANO-MC activity, taking into account the values/principles. For the further development of the project to form a strong, integrated and unified WANO-MC team, it is planned to develop and implement organizational measures aimed at evaluating, forming and developing positive behaviors of team members.
WANO was created after the Chernobyl accident by NPP operators around the world, who tried to do everything possible to prevent the recurrence of such an accident. The official formation of WANO was proclaimed at the constituent assembly on May 15, 1989 in Moscow
During the last three years, Rosatom Tech cooperated with WANO MC on several occasions:
• Rovno NPP Topic «Advanced experience of human performance improvement by systematic use of human error prevention tools» From 17-20 October 2017
• Member Support Mission WANO-MC, South Ukrainian NPP, “Implementation of proactive Nuclear safety culture “, 03 – 07 September 2018
• Volgodonsk Atomenergoremont “on the topic ” Leadership “, 16-20 September, 2019
• Nuclear Power Production & Development Co. of Iran (NPPD CO.) (Iran, Tehran) МSM topic: “Corporate Nuclear Leadership”, 12 – 18 December 2019
• Training Session by WANO for Rooppur NPP Specialists